Finding a new distribution warehouse for your business can be difficult if you don’t know where to start and what to look for. There are several factors that you need to take into consideration like your target market, the size of your operations, and the cost of running a warehouse in a particular area. After taking all of these into account, only then will you be able to come up with an appropriate plan on how and where to put your new warehouse. Below are five distribution warehouse selection tips that we urge you to follow when you go around looking for a new space or building.
1) Determine the requirements for your new warehouse. The most important thing you need to remember here is the required size of the warehouse. You are going to use it for distribution so you have to make sure that it will be able to accommodate all of your storage needs. You also have to think about the possibility that you will be expanding the warehouse sometime in the future. For example, you might currently need just two floors as distribution space. But what if your business grows and you will be in need of more space? That said, it’s best that you find a warehouse that has much more space than what you currently need.
2) See to it that the warehouse is located near travel and access points like roads and airports. You have to be able to transport things from the warehouse to your customers or stores in the fastest ways possible. As much as possible, stay away from areas where the roads are always clogged by vehicular traffic. Your business will suffer the consequences if you won’t be able to deliver your goods on time. For this to be possible, sometimes you have to find a warehouse from the outskirts of the city.
3) You should be able to hire employees from the areas surrounding your new distribution warehouse. This will save you a lot of time and money especially if you employ several people in your warehouse. First of all, the employees live nearby so you don’t have to provide housing for them. They also know the area and this knowledge can come in handy when your warehouse is finally in full operation.
4) Always consider your distribution markets. For illustration purposes, let’s say that you want to target five distribution markets and you need a warehouse to take care of these markets. What you need to do is find a location that’s nearest to all of these distribution markets. You will need to consult with engineers and surveyors to determine the most suitable location for your warehouse.
5) Make sure that you adhere with all the policies and regulations of the city or town with regards to establishing a distribution warehouse. It would be very unfortunate if you can’t fully operate your new warehouse just because of an overlooked violation. So always consult with professionals and the government to ensure that you are in line with the law.
Always keep these tips in mind when you go looking for a new distribution warehouse.